Boy she ain’t kidding. Bill Gates’ wife has a lifetime of experience using donations as a means to a larger financial goal.
Despite heaps of medical science showing that diet & nutrition are highly correlated with the development (and treatment) of cancer, The American Cancer Society refuses to suggest this in their literature. According to their website (cancer.org) the 3 major goals of the ACS are to make cancer control a political priority, reduce tobacco use, and increase awareness (a). This is a non-profit organization with annual revenues of $850,000,000, $5M of which comes from your tax dollars (b).
Where does this $850,000,000 in donations come from?
As of today, 59 corporations are listed on ACS’ “Corporate Support” page (c). Let’s take a look at 22 companies of the 59.
- Walmart (the 3rd largest pharmacy in the U.S.; sell meat & milk much?)
- Walgreens (the largest pharmacy in the U.S.)
- Kroger (the 5th largest pharmacy in the U.S.)
- Tyson Foods (world’s 2nd largest producer of chicken, beef, & pork)
- Bi-Lo Holdings (5th largest conventional supermarket chain in the U.S.) (d)
- Yum! Brands (KFC, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut)
- Pfizer (pharmaceutical company in the Dow 30, cancer-drug producer)
- Eli Lilly & Co. (pharmaceutical company in the S&P 500, cancer-drug producer)
- Merck & Co. (one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world, cancer-drug producer)
- GE Healthcare (manufactures mammography & radiation therapy equipment, $18B annual rev. in 2011)
- Siemens (largest engineering co. in Europe, manufactures mammography & radiation therapy equipment)
- Berkshire Hathaway (owns 14% of all Coca Cola stock, and 4% of Wal-Mart)
- Abbott Laboratories (pharmaceutical company in the S&P 500)
- UnitedHealth Group (#14 on the Fortune 500)
- Allstate Insurance
- Geico Insurance
- State Farm Insurance
- Anthem Inc. (Blue Cross Blue Shield)
- Meijer (private grocery, 27th largest retailer in the U.S.)
- Quest Diagnostics (health care company in the S&P 500)
- HCA (operator of hospitals and health systems)
- Marchfield Clinic
This is staggering. Over 1/3 of the “major contributors” to the American Cancer Society are involved in one or more of the following:
- Animal products
- Health “Care” (specifically mammography and radiation machines)
- Health Insurance
Ok, stick with me. Now let’s look at the “Treatment Types” page on ACS’ website. Listed are surgery, chemotherapy, radiation, targeted therapy (read: drugs), stem cell transplant, lasers, immunotherapy, hyperthermia, and blood transfusion.
Where is the section on diet and nutrition, perhaps the most significant – and least invasive factor – in dealing with cancer? Where is the recommendation that patients at the very least consider adopting a strategic whole-food, plant-based diet?
So let’s keep chopping of breasts, popping side-effect inducing medications, and pumping poison directly into our blood, all the while eating pizza and fried chicken. That’s working very well indeed for all the corporations listed above.